As a working gal who happens to love to cook I am always looking for recipes that are delicious and fairly easy. Mind you, the recipe I’ve listed below isn’t the “open a can, throw in a piece of meat” type of recipe but it is really, really good and worth the few extra steps that it takes to prepare—mostly under 30 minutes! The recipe is from a new cookbook I received, “The Best Simple Recipes” by America’s Test Kitchen.
Recipe: Chicken with Pesto-Mushroom Cream Sauce
Summary: Relatively Simple
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Salt & pepper
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 10 ounces white mushrooms, sliced
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup heavy cream (I used 3/4 cup and made up the difference in the broth)
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth (I used 3/4 cup, see above note)
- 1/2 cup basil pesto (store bought)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Pat chicken dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large skillet over medium-high heat until just smoking. Cook chicken until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and tent with foil. Add remaining oil to skillet and cook mushrooms until browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook about 1 minute. Add cream, broth and chicken to skillet, scraping any browned bits from skillet and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 15-20 minutes. Transfer chicken to serving platter and tent with foil. Return skillet to medium-high heat and simmer until sauce is thickened, about 5-7 minutes. Off heat, stir in pesto and lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Pour sauce over chicken and serve.
Recipe by on.
Microformatting by hRecipe.
I served this with French green beans and white and wild rice and it was very yummy! Enjoy!